Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Man In The Glass
Peter Dale Wimbrow Sr.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself 
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn't your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgement upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one starring back from the glass.

He's the fellow to please - never mind all the rest
For he's with you right up to the end
And you've passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass.

I have had this since High School football, for many years I tried to live by this code but the older I got the more excuses I found I could make and I slowly  stopped looking in the mirror.  A couple years ago i found it and spent a lot of time making amends for past mistakes and decided I needed to try again.  We as firefighters were chosen to stand a little taller and do things that most people wouldn't think of doing.  We have been given a gift of strength that is not found in the common folk,  sometimes it just takes a while for you to find it inside yourself...but it is there.  Every single TRUE FIREFIGHTER finds this strength when he often last expects it.  I am keeping it short tonight but had this poem come to me while I was reading and wanted to share it with you brother and sisters.  I also wanted to thank Rachel for setting up the sponsor page tonight on her 43rd Birthday!!!!
thank you my love,
Every now and then someone comes into your life and completely turns it around and upside down.  I am the lucky one here, with her.  Sometimes people can help make you a better person, I am with her.
And sometimes it feels like there is a empty hole when they are not around,  I am.  Happy Birthday my love....And I dig the shirt baby!....sleep well Shackster, rest abundantly and grow strong.  Our lives are a bit emptier without you here.  Hurry home.  Love ya man,  Bull

No comments:

Post a Comment