Thursday, June 4, 2015

friend...
noun;  1) a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.  2) a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter
JP is the man standing behind the bowl and second from right.  He is wearing the HUGE smile, which is how I picture him now and how he showed himself daily....with a big smile.  I received a call a couple days ago about this brother who has been ill, very ill.  I knew JP had been out sick, but didn't know how long or what the extent of the illness was until yesterday and today.  After talking to his wife Rachel I was floored to the extent of what he has been dealing with.  Rachel has been kind enough to share this with us through an email...

For the past 3 years, JP has been battling a rare neuromuscular autoimmune disease. After too many MRIs, spinal taps and blood tests to count, he has been diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis/CIDP (a chronic form of Guillian-Barre Syndrome). During this time, JP has continued to fill his position on Squad 1A, always giving 110% effort. Despite many trips to the hospital he has continued to do the job he loves with his fellow OCFRD family. 
 He has tried many different treatments for this disease. The problem with rare diseases like this is that you never know what is going to work, and every treatment comes with side effects. The most recent treatment was a chemotherapy medication. It turns out that he was allergic to it and has had some very significant side effects that may last for a while. This means JP is not able to return to work as quickly as expected. That brings us to the subject of fundraising. Those of you who know JP, you know he has a hard time asking for help (basically, he NEVER asks for help). He likes to be the one helping. He is also a very private person and it is hard for him to talk about this. But with uncertainty about when he will be able to return to work, the medical bills are (have been) piling up, and he will have a waiting period before he can get short term disability. 

Besides being a badass Squad Tech, JP is a husband to Rachel (for 20 years she has put up with him!) and a father to Ayana and Reyna. Ayana just finished her freshman year in college and Reyna is getting ready to start her senior year in High School. Rachel is a nurse at ORMC and has had the privilege of helping to care for many of the OCFRD family during her 11 years there.  The entire Perez family loves and appreciates everything the firefighter brothers and sisters have done and will continue to do to support their family. 


Please understand that I ASKED, JP and Rachel to send me an email to explain to me what they are going through and what they have been going through for so long.  They did not come to me....I reached out to them.  JP has been fighting this on his own with his family by his side.  It's time for the rest of his family to step in and help-us the FD family!.  John Perez "JP" is one of us, a brother, a FRIEND....and I had no clue how bad off he was, and when I found out I felt the need to invite them to "OUR" group because in my mind JP and his family are in need of our help.  I have talked to Shakey and his wife Lisa and they are willing to share months with JP.  So I am asking for your help in a couple ways.  This family as well as Stephen's is in need of your prayers I ask ya'll to lift them up daily.  They too are in need of our help financially.  I will continue to squat BUT I will be squatting for both brother's and their families and I will alternate months of giving our donation's.  I can not thank everyone enough for taking part in this journey with me to help our brother's.  But I also believe we need to make more noise about this battle and make it LOUDER to the law makers who can help make changes in how we are taken care of when these illness's strike us.  BUT that's another story for another time, AND we will be addressing this soon.  To make donations please contact me by email at ..bull101601@gmail.com ...or private message me on FB.  I started this with the definition of "friend"and when I read ....a person who gives assistance; a supporter; I saw a different side of friend than what I considered to be the definition....I want to be a friend in this way, a brother.  I do not want to look back and say..."I wish I would have done something when I had the chance" is .  This is brotherhood... When the load is heavy and the road long and dangerous.  When there is NO LIGHT at the end of the tunnel, this is where a brother steps in and and carries the heavy end and trudges the road side by side....no need for a light at the end of the damn tunnel, Because my brother is next to me with his big ass"mag-lite" leading me out!....Dear Shakey, JP...rest well my friends, get strong and heal...we have your backs and we are here standing strong.  Dear Father, wrap your strong arms around my brother's and give them power, give them the hearts and wills of strength.  They are saver's of lives and now need Your saving Grace.  I ask this in Your Son's name.  Jesus....Bull 


2 comments:

  1. Wow... well said! Keep fighting the fight babe! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bull. As hard as this is for my husband, both he and I are so grateful to be a part of the brotherhood. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete