Thursday, April 16, 2015

365 Days of Squatting and Deadlifting for Shakey

Tomorrow is Friday the 17th of April.  And after an appointment with my back Dr. I will be heading to my garage and SQUAT/DEADLIFT for the 5th day in a row this week.  My squats will be somewhere over 300# and the deadlift over 405#.  Then I will load up my squat stands, barbell and weight plates and head to Parrish, Fla to visit Rachel's family for the weekend and do the same thing each day there (hopefully in a garage and not the driveway).  I have not put more than 350# on the squat bar this year yet due to back and knee issues, in fact I met with a Orthopedic last Fri., and after x-rays and the normal "your knees are horrible" chat he recommended double knee replacement within the next 12 months. I write this NOT for sympathy but for you reading to understand that these 2 movements are very hard on my body and I have chosen to suffer a bit daily (365 days) for Shakey. And maybe raise some money for the family while doing this.  This blog is also in the memory of my brother Orange County Firefighters I never said "goodbye" too.  Men who I lived with, ate with, shared children's birthdays with, hugged tight at funerals and protected citizen's with daily and WHO I MISS. The idea of a blog came with the urging and support of other FF's in hopes to bring awareness, support and a means of daily communication for us all.  We are a brother and sisterhood, a select "few" chosen to serve others, and it seems somewhere we lost track of this.  I have a short time left in this 30 some odd year journey here and I would like to know I gave you my best. We have chosen a profession that takes from us, many things we can never get back.  We see the worst of humanity and we are expected to fix IT!  BUT what we have with each other, what we share with each other is a bond more powerful than most people will ever get to have...THAT is our blessing for doing this JOB!  NOT fame, NOT huge pay days but a BOND that only those who have battled together, saved lives together...lost lives together can share...and some times we forget this blessing we have been given.  I did not take the time to see my brother's because I was scared, hurt and angry to see them go...I didn't want to believe my strong brother's were sick.  So I guess in a way this is my gift to you brother's and sister's and to Shakey and his family.  I am going to see  this through and suffer a lil daily to give back, to remember, to never forget why we were chosen to do what we do.


12 comments:

  1. I think that you have started something. Waking us up from this political and work coma. I absolutely love this! Love you shakey!
    Shannon (kirby)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon today was rough. But knowing yall are with me helped!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Bull!!! I can't thank you enough for the love and support. You are a true friend and brother. Love you Shakey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shakey my brother we are gonna see this thing through TOGETHER. You have a ton of "US" with you daily...one day at a time, you now have access to us all...Love you, Bull

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I might be just a tad partial but TOM HILL YOU ARE A ROCKST��R!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slammin bars and crushin PRs for OUR BROTHER SHAKEY!

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job dad! I can't express how proud I am of you. This is such a great way to show awareness. Keep pushing, and stay strong! I love you and I will be thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bull I am honored to call you my friend! You have done so much for so many! You have a fire that burns so Brite it is truly amazing to see!! Shakey is one of a kind (thank god )!!:) I love you buddy

    ReplyDelete
  7. When the Prescott 19 were killed, the Crossfit community stepped up and suffered alongside the remaining Hotshots. You have shown the same level of Brotherhood mate. We cannot heal the sick or bring back the fallen. We can, however, raise money, awareness or simply memorialize our brothers and sisters.

    I am looking forward to suffering alongside our fellow firefighters again this September. The Hero Challenge is the most poignant event I have attended yet. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

    Oh and try not to prolapse when squatting......it's really messy! :)

    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted and James thank you for the love. I hope us reaching out like this brings awareness to what we face and changes that need to be made. I am also in the pursuit of getting companies to sponser the Squatting for Shakey to raise funds for his family in the next 365 days....please share. And thank you

      Delete
  8. One day at a time Shakey!
    STAY Positive!
    Bull, keep grinding brutha!
    Love to ALL!
    Kenny "Cobra" Flanders

    ReplyDelete