Friday, June 5, 2015

' HOME at LAST '
Tomorrow we will be celebrating the life of Charles Louis Schmalmaack.  I will also be saying "good bye" to a man who was many things to me over the years.  He and his family moved on to our small street when I was 6 years old and with his family by his side he went to heaven there.  He was a father figure to me, a jokester, a great storyteller and as I grew up he became more of a friend.  He was never a neighbor to me, he was always family.  He always took time for me-always and it never felt rushed. He cared about people.  We spent more time day and night shooting baskets at my house or shooting pool at his than I did with anyone else.  He taught me about business, about never giving up, he was always positive and helped me many times when I couldn't find the help at home.  He was there when I had my first beer (probably gave it to me) , and when I would come home from college we would have beers and talk about football over pool and baskets.  He was there when I decided to put the drink down. We talked a few times about why 'not' drinking was a better choice for me.  I truly loved this man.  He was there when my father wasn't and he was there when my father passed away, and he let me know I wasn't alone. 
I miss him but I am full of so many great memories that we shared.  Our relationship was special and I can still here him calling me "Tommy" even at this age.  Growing up is hard because so many of my childhood heroes are leaving this world.  God Speed Chuck to Heaven.  Rest well my friend...you deserve it, you have fought hard...
Chuck and his family, Jackie, Cheryl,Carl,Eric and Charlie and friends...

I want to close this with some words from the Bible for my friend Chuck.....For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteous, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day.....

Charles Louis Schmalmaack - June 21, 1936 - June 1, 2015
It is an honor to have you here with us in this "BROTHERHOOD"my friend.  You are not gone but only now forever in my heart

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Tommy and thanks for being there for the family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tommy and thanks for being there for the family

    ReplyDelete