Monday, May 4, 2015

THANK YOU...ALL OF YOU
Last Thursday and Friday are 2 of the greatest days of my 30 years in the fire service!  I have been a part of some pretty cool things over this career of mine.  Including being one of the 12 original squad 1 member's and the last to still be in active duty.  Firefighter of the year 2006 (I think).  First deployment team out of state for Hurricane Hugo to Summerville, South Carolina.  Co founder of 343 Hero Challenge....etc... a lot of good memories.  But, what we accomplished in those 2 days was HUGE compared to any of the others.  We as a team of different departments came together as one to make sure our brother was given HOPE and LOVE of the deepest respect.  Maybe it didn't seem like much to those who stood on the outside and looked in and maybe it didn't seem like that much for some of you.  BUT, for this firefighter who has been here for 30 years it was the biggest participation that I have ever seen or been a part of for a sick brother.  As I watched each of you pour out your hearts and sweat and some tears on the Fit Pit mats I was truly proud to be among all you who took part.  As I watched Shakey's reaction to what he saw in you, as you went through each movement without complaint, I was humbled, as I listened to him speak I was given strength knowing that what we did was by far the BEST and MOST HONORABLE thing I have ever done in my career!  And you made this possible, all you who participated, did this.  The thing is, is that it wasn't even about me or you, it was about a brother who IS going to war against his own body. A body he trusted for years to carry him through multiple fires, multiple medical calls, a body he trusted to carry him home after every shift has turned against him.  It was about him and it still is and will be for a long time.  I know we have a long journey ahead of us BUT we can get through this together just as we dId last week.  Thank you all for bringing HOPE and LOVE back into this old firefighters life.  For a long time I thought all that I was a part of these years was gone....I see I was wrong. Thank you for showing me this!  I am sharing this picture below because I can remember how Shakey cried as I explained to him that these names represent all the people who have come out to support him the day before and so far today...and he shook...it mean't so much to him.  You all LOVED him that much!
I do not ever want to forget the gratitude I felt in my heart being able to tell him about what you all were doing for him.  This next picture is another I hold dear to my heart...to feel him squeezing me so tight just let me know how much you all were doing meant to him.  See, none of my previous accomplishments stand a chance next to this, not even close.  It was because of you that I have this moment to remember as the best of my 30 years!
And for this I want to THANK YOU ALL!
Today's Squats went good brother, got up to 305# on a back squat and then 315# on a safety squat bar.  P.S.  (We were able to hand Shakey $3,500.00 on Sat morning because of what you all did!  Amazing!)  Sleep well my friend,  love ya  Bull

No comments:

Post a Comment